More than ever, production cost control affects the operations of the Maintenance Department.
While its role still consists in knowing the health condition of the machines, its associated costs must remain as low as possible. For the operator, the ideal situation is then to have versatile tools that can deliver fast and reliable diagnosis: simple instruments to solve 80% of the drifts and more advanced instruments for the remaining 20%. A combination of vibration and ultrasound techniques in the same instrument? Problems are detected by static measurements while dynamic measurements are used when a further diagnosis is required.
The current economic situation imposes maximum production cost control to companies. To this aim, they use more and more performing, hence more and more complex, facilities. Their aim is obvious: produce more and better. But that’s not all. Companies also naturally tend to optimize the maintenance of their process, which has then a whole new dimension. Not only do they have to limit production losses, plan and optimize reconditioning, while limiting the stock of spare parts, but they also have to achieve this mission with reduced human and financial resources. They can no longer waste workers’ hours doing time-consuming data collections and unnecessary analyses. Taking these aspects into account, SDT’s Vigilant equipped with CONMONSense sensors is a solution that will allow for the continuous collection of data without the need for staff to collect measurements, all information are automatically available on the embedded Vigilant software so the Condition Monitoring (CM) team can analyze them sitting at their desks.
Towards optimized maintenance
Let’s address the issue in a different way: why spend time to collect and analyze measurements or why entrust a specialist to do this work, if we finally find that the equipment is in good condition? Quite ineffective, don’t you think? Well, this is the case for 80% of the equipment under monitoring. The search for optimization requires the use of a tool that is simple (hence available to the largest number of users), fast (to limit collection time) and efficient (to confirm the proper operating of 80% of the machinery). But that’s not all. Out of the 20% of suspicious machines, the cause of the drift is easy to solve for 80% of them. Once again, a simple tool used by an operator is the most suitable solution. Finally, further diagnosis is required for 20% of the remaining 20%. In other words, let’s say that out of 1000 machines, 200 might have problems. Of those 200 machines, 160 will have problems that are easy to fix. And of the remaining 40 suspect machines, 8 will require further diagnosis. Advanced measurements carried out by a specialist are then necessary.
Versatility is essential
Besides speed and ease of use, a versatile tool must be selected based on controlled investment costs. A measuring instrument that can address both rotating machinery and control of energy costs. The complementarity between ultrasound and vibration makes full senses here. Ultrasonic technology is the undisputed champion of energy savings: compressed air, vapor and, to some extent, partial discharges.